When starting a new project, we all want to have only top instruments. The best worm drive circular saw can simplify the work and provide the results we hope for.
Although worm drive circular saws are already considered prime tools among others, they are not all equally good.
No matter if you are a professional carpenter or a newcomer, you need a reliable tool that matches your demands.
Here is the list of the top products I consider the best for the work. You may want to check the most suitable power, cut accuracy, and major capacity before you buy anything.
- 1 Top 7 Best Worm Drive Circular Saws Reviews
- 1.1 1. Dewalt Flexvolt: Best Cordless Worm Drive Saw with Dust Blower
- 1.2 2. Bosch CSW41 Battery Powered Worm Drive Saw of 13.2 Lbs
- 1.3 3. SKIL Magnesium Worm Drive Saw of High Cutting Capacity
- 1.4 4. Makita Magnesium Hypoid Saw With a 4 Inch Blade
- 1.5 Characteristics:
- 1.6 5. Skilsaw SPT77 WML: The Lightest Best Worm Drive Saw With Cord
- 1.7 6. Dewalt DWS535B Circular Saw of Magnesium and Aluminum
- 1.8 7. Milwaukee 6477-20 Worm Drive Circular Saw of Hardened Steel
- 2 Buyer’s Guide
- 3 FAQ
- 4 Searching for the Perfection
Top 7 Best Worm Drive Circular Saws Reviews
- Dewalt Flexvolt Circular Saw Kit – Top Pick
- Bosch Worm Drive Circular Saw – Great Value
- SKIL Magnesium Worm Drive Skilsaw – Professional Pick
- Makita Magnesium Hypoid Saw
- Skilsaw SPT77WML Circular Saw
- Dewalt DWS535B Circular Saw
- Milwaukee 6477-20 Worm Drive Circular Saw
Read the description of these professional tools. I have written a detailed review of each of them, sharing my experience. Pay attention to the pros and cons list.
1. Dewalt Flexvolt: Best Cordless Worm Drive Saw with Dust Blower
This saw is perfect for outside work since it runs on the power battery and is not attached to the cord. The tool was created by an American-based manufacturer.
Dewalt was founded in 1922, and since that time, the popularity of the company has been increasing around the country and abroad.
You may find a wide range of tools in their catalog. This saw kit is one of its best-sellers. It has a smartly developed blade with a left side orientation of the motor. The handle is placed at the rear, so you will see the cutting line clearer.
- Power – 9.0 Ah battery on 60V, and up to 2400 watts out;
- Cutting capacity – 5500 RPM speed, and it has 53° bevel capacity and stops at 45° and 22.5°;
- Materials – it has a reliable magnesium shoe, brushless motor, and carbide-tipped blade;
- Features – electronic brake, optimized line of sight, accurate cuts, dust blower for clear lines.
The blade of the saw is 4 inches long and 7-1/4 inches in diameter for smooth and easy cuts. You can use this saw for a long period of time without stopping. After the trigger is released, the saw also stops automatically.
As a bonus, there is a rafter hook to hang the instrument on the wall. Yet, I recommend keeping it in the bag that comes together with the saw. The pack also includes the fan-cooled 20V max charger and a blade wrench. I don’t recommend leaving it outside once the work is done.
- Well-known brand;
- Reliable materials;
- Clear cutting line;
- Powerful battery.
- It does not have LED lights on it.
2. Bosch CSW41 Battery Powered Worm Drive Saw of 13.2 Lbs
The model has 5,300 rpm of its 4 inches blade and is fed by a 15 amp powerful motor. While it is an incredibly powerful tool, the magnesium cover provides a lightweight of 13.2 lbs only. The Bosch name is a guarantee of high quality itself.
If you prefer reliable German instruments, you may order this one. It was founded back in 1886 and now has official representatives in over 150 countries. This particular model is a real proof of the brand’s high class and abilities. The tool is well-developed, reliable, and accurate.
- Power – it has a motor power of 15 amp. The saw is corded;
- Cutting capacity – The RPM is 5,300, no loaded, which is highly impressive for cutting capacity, the bevel capacity is 53°, with a detent at 45°;
- Materials – magnesium footplate and housing, carbide blade;
- Features – left side blade for advanced visibility, fast motor.
Despite the fact that it is corded, and you have to make sure that 8 ft is enough for you during the work, I personally prefer this Bosch model to many other options. It works fast and steady without overheating.
And I don’t get tired easily, mainly because of the light weight. Magnesium in its footplate increases the reliability of the tool and is a guarantee of long service.
I have used this saw for years and have never complained about its work. Inside the tool, there is a dust blower to make the cut line visible.
- Magnesium footplate and housing;
- Automatic dust blower;
- Powerful motor;
- Legendary brand.
- This is a corded model.
3. SKIL Magnesium Worm Drive Saw of High Cutting Capacity
This is a professional tool with all the features you may need for long hours of work.
This saw offers 6 1/4 inches clean cuts. Magnesium footplate offers durability and light weight, while built-in cooler grants extended life to 15 amp motor.
Skilsaw is an American-based manufacturer that has provided power tools on the market since 1924. The company was the first in the world to create a portable circular saw. Although it provides a 180-day basic guarantee and 1 year plus limited guarantee for this model, I believe you will never use it.
- Power – 15 amp motor of the dual field;
- Cutting capacity – it has 32 tooth blade, 2,500 RPM, and bevel capacity 56°, with 0°, 45° stops;
- Materials – magnesium cast and footplate, carbide blade;
- Features – 16-5/16 inch blade, left side blade location, deep cut, automatic stop.
This saw offers clean cuts through the 6 inches of lumber. Although it looks like a giant beast, it is lightweight due to its magnesium cover. The whole package weighs 27.3 pounds.
It comes with a stand that I recommend you to use from the very beginning to avoid any possible damage. I also don’t recommend you leave it near the water. This tool is corded and requires a standard 120 volts.
The length of the cord is 120 inches, which may be more than enough for you, but I advise you to check out all the models in this best worm drive saw comparison. This model also has a frustration-free certificate.
- 6 inches deep cut;
- Easy to hold;
- Long cord;
- Increased bevel capacity;
- Trustable developer.
- You need an electric socket close to you to feed the saw.
4. Makita Magnesium Hypoid Saw With a 4 Inch Blade
This corded saw is widely used in woodworking of any type and size. The oil-bath technology offers professional cutting performance. This is a hypoid gears model, which I intentionally included on the list as it could be a great alternative to the worm drive gears.
Makita developer is a well-known Japanese company that has been providing power tools around the world since 1915. You may find its factories in the US as well.
This company was the first one that developed rechargeable power instruments. The Hypoid model has a 10 ft reinforced power cord for inside and outside works.
- Power – there is 15 AMP motor and hypoid gear with oil bath coverage;
- Cutting capacity – it provides 4500 RPM, and the bevel capacity is 51.5°, with the stops at 45° and 22.5°;
- Materials – magnesium lightweight coverage, oil bath, rubberized handle, carbide-tipped blade;
- Features – increased power on a wider surface, the cord is reinforced fast cuts.
If you don’t know what to look for in a circular saw in the first place, I would recommend paying attention to its durability. This tool can work splendidly for many years, without the need to change the saw frequently.
I used this saw in different conditions. While it has some problems similar to other models with the lack of light, I appreciated its light weight, excellent grip, and the ability to move even faster than a regular saw with the oil bath technology.
- Offers 4,500 RPM;
- Reliable handle;
- Highly secured blade;
- Works quickly;
- Low maintenance level.
- This is not a worm drive gear.
5. Skilsaw SPT77 WML: The Lightest Best Worm Drive Saw With Cord
This model is simple to use in woodwork that requires a high accuracy level. The cut-ready depth of the blade provides quick and exact moves. To reach the angle you need, use its 53° bevel capacity.
Skilsaw is a trustable developer of power tools. I have already mentioned the company from Illinois that developed the first portable saw. Since that time, they have significantly improved portable saws, implementing modern technologies. The power dual-field motor is one of its recent attractions.
- Power – 15 amp motor, a corded tool that requires 120 V for work, cuts through 2-3/8 inch;
- Cutting capacity – 5300 RPM, bevel capacity is 90°, with the maximum of 53°, and stops at 0° and 45°
- Materials – magnesium cover, carbide blade;
- Features – weighs only 11.5 lbs, dual-field motor that cools down automatically, cuts depth can be adjusted in no time.
I have several Skilsaw instruments in my workshop. I also have used two different models of portable Skilsaw saws, and I believe they are great tools for both hobbies and daily work.
I have to work with different depths of cuts. I truly appreciated the ability to change the depth on the saw for different plies, including 2x, ¾, ½, and ¼ ply.
The handle is massive, and you have to get used to it. Yet, the rubber on it provides a tight grip. I recommend buying a bag for this saw and keeping it far from moisture.
- High quality;
- Weighs 11.5 lbs;
- Powerful motor with cooler;
- Cuts depth adjustment;
- Tight grip.
- Pay attention to whether the gear oil is included in the package.
6. Dewalt DWS535B Circular Saw of Magnesium and Aluminum
I can’t leave this stylish and powerful model out of this worm drive circular saw reviews mainly because of its top features and speed. It is made of aluminum and magnesium for lighter weight and contains a magnesium footplate.
Dewalt developers are already on my list of favorites here, so you know how deeply I appreciate their tools. If you are up for high-quality American instruments for woodworking, I recommend you to pay attention to this brand.
Pay attention to its ability to accept the DWS5100 Dual-port circular saw guide. You have to buy it separately, though.
- Power – this is a standard 15 Amp tool with 4 inches long blade and grounded plug;
- Cutting capacity – 4,800 RPM, bevel capacity is 53°, with stops at 22.5°, and 45°;
- Materials – carbide blade, aluminum and magnesium cover, magnesium footplate;
- Features – tough cord protection system, an automatic brake that stops the blade, 7 ¼ inches saw for materials of 2-3/4 inch depth.
This saw is comfortable to use even if you are new to woodworking. It contains an electric brake that stops after the trigger is out. The 53° bevel capacity is helpful when it comes to cuts you have to provide on a certain angle.
The cord has extra protection, which is useful when it comes to several hours of active work. Magnesium shoe extends the life of the whole instrument. I recommend wearing professional gloves when you are working to avoid a slippery handle.
- Magnesium footplate;
- Wide saw hook;
- Cord protection;
- Electric brake;
- American brand.
- The handle is made of high quality plastic and can be slippery.
7. Milwaukee 6477-20 Worm Drive Circular Saw of Hardened Steel
This model is made of hardened steel and magnesium coating. It has a heavy-duty reliable shoe that will not bend or get cracked. The oil site glass reveals the current level of oil.
Milwaukee Electric Tools is an American-based company that specializes in power tools. The company was founded in 1924. It is a part of the big Hong Kong Company Techtronic Industries. Pay attention! This saw is made in China according to the brand’s high standards.
- Power – 15 AMP motor, it requires 120 V for work;
- Cutting capacity – it has 4,400 RPM. The bevel capacity is 51.5°;
- Materials – magnesium caver, heavy-duty shoe, hardened steel;
- Features – oil sight glass to check the oil level, 4 inches blade length, corded, developers offer 5 years warranty.
This tool weighs 15 lbs and is heavier than similar saws. However, if you want a hardened model with an extended warranty, you need this option. It is solid and cuts through the wood quickly and professionally.
I still recommend doing breaks every 2-3 hours while you are working to avoid overheating. Since it is not the lightest model on the list, you will need to take breaks. There is also no case with the saw, and I recommend buying it together with the tool. Always put the saw in the case after you finish your work.
- Hardened footplate;
- Deep cuts;
- Fast speed of cutting;
- Solid and reliable work;
- 5 years warranty.
- It is heavier than similar models on the list.
If you still don’t know what is a worm drive circular saw and how to use it, read this detailed manual that explains everything. It will help you to understand what to look for in the tool. You may find the information helpful even if you are an experienced woodworker.
What Is A Worm Drive Circular Saw
The worm drive saw is a powerful tool we use in woodwork. It has a motor that is attached to the rear of the tool. Some of them can be cordless, but classic ones are corded.
There are two gears that power up the saw, at 90 degrees. The engine is powerful and provides high speed. The average number is 4,500 RPM. This saw received its name from the two elements in the system of the gear, called worm wheel and worm screw. They mesh together.
What to Look for in a Best Worm Drive Circular Saw?
Do you know what is a worm drive saw used for? Usually, you buy this tool if you are involved in construction or any type of woodworking, and a traditional saw is not enough for you.
Worm drive circular saws are usually not the cheapest tools in your toolkit. So you have to check whether there are all the features you need before you buy a worm drive circular saw.
The motor of the saw is attached at the rear and is incredibly powerful and quick. Compared to other saws, this one has great torque. Such position of the motor makes the saw stable but at the same time heavier than many similar tools.
The most common motor provides 15 amps and delivers 4000 RPM at least. There are 10 amps options as well, but they are not included into this particular list.
I specifically offered the models that are made of high-quality materials. It must be reliable and durable for the safety of use. Plastic models are long gone.
The most popular option is magnesium coverage and steel. Such materials are not only durable but also lightweight. You have to make sure that the handle is rubberized or at least has a tight grip.
Visible Cutting Line
The cutting line is more visible on left-side saws for right-handed people. You have to make sure that the shoe is calibrated to avoid bending and losing the line. Models like Dewalt Flexvolt have an integrated dust blower that quickly clears the line and makes it visible.
I suggest the saws with magnesium housing here. You can try fortified metal housing as well, just keep in mind that it will be heavier. Magnesium housing is reliable, solid, and lightweight. This is why it is my favorite option.
There will be a time when you will have to change the blade on your saw. The best tools contain specific wrench buttons for such occasions.
An integrated wrench can be found on all the saws I describe above. All you need is to make sure that the cord is out before you change the blades.
Maximum Cutting Depth
The cutting depth of the saw usually varies from the size of the blade. Bigger blades naturally offer bigger cut depth. The average diameter of the circular blade is 7 ¼ inches. If you have a saw of 6 inches blade and more, you can cut the 2 inches deep at the 45-degree angle.
Check out the most popular questions about the saw on the web. You can find the answers useful.
What is the difference between a worm drive and a sidewinder circular saw?
Sidewinder saw has its motor on one of the saw sides, as the name says, while the worm drive saw has the motor at the rear. The worm drive saw is heavier than the sidewinder but usually more stable. However, you may find benefits of each type based on your work requirements.
Which is better: a worm drive or circular saw?
The difference between worm drive and circular saw is not that big. A high-quality worm drive saw offers durability and more power. It usually has larger teeth. However, a circular saw is more portable since it is lighter than a worm drive saw.
What are worm drive saws good for?
A worm drive saw is good for any type of woodwork that doesn’t require long hours of nonstop activity. You can provide accurate cuts and work quickly with this tool. With a proper model, you will be able to work professionally.
What is the best circular saw for home use?
My intention here was to tell you about worm drive circular saws that grant you positive results. All the tools on the list have great quality, are reliable and powerful. However, if you want to pick the best of the best, my personal advice is to pay attention to the Dewalt Flexvolt, Bosch worm drive circular, and SKIL magnesium models.
- Best Budget Circular Saws
- Best Circular Saw Blades for Plywood
- How to Rip Narrow Boards With a Circular Saw
Searching for the Perfection
If you need a worm drive circular saw immediately, I doubt you will consider all the features each model offers. However, I strongly recommend you do it since every model is unique and has its advantages.
You may pick the most lightweight saw or the most powerful one, the quickest, or the one that makes the deepest cuts. If you don’t want to base your decision on only one feature, you can find the perfect compromise on the list.
If you have ever used one of the models I describe here, share your impressions in the comments below. Which brand is your favorite? What are you looking for in the worm drive circular saw?