Angle grinder is a multipurpose tool used for cutting, polishing, grinding, deburring, and finishing. Depending on the characteristics of a particular tool, it can be used for a wide range of materials, from plastic to concrete. In this article, I will name the best 6 inch angle grinder I selected for my own use and compare the advantages and flaws of other models.
- 1 Top 5 Best 6 Inch Angle Grinder Reviewed
- 2 Buyer’s Guide 6-inch Angle Grinder
- 3 FAQ on Brands and Models
- 4 Angle Grinder 6 Inch Disc Reviews
Top 5 Best 6 Inch Angle Grinder Reviewed
- Makita 9566CV ― Top Pick
- DEWALT Angle Grinder Tool ― Runner Up
- Metabo 601078420 ― Great Value
- BOSCH GWS13-60
- Metabo 601242420
Makita 9566CV: Angle Grinder With 5 Speed Modes
Makita 9566CV is a powerful tool for cutting material and finishing surfaces with no fear of spoiling them. This model has a 13-AMP motor that provides variable speed modes. In particular, Makita 9566CV has five speeds starting from 4,000 RPM, which suit for accurate polishing, and reaching 10,000 RPM – for cutting. This tool is durable since it is equipped with SJS technology which prevents some kinds of malfunctions and reduces the maintenance an average grinder requires. This feature saves the motor and gear by letting the drive shaft slip if the wheel is stopped improperly.
Ergonomics and ease of use always matter, but these parameters become extremely important for heavy instruments ensuring their maneuverability. Makita 9566CV weighs a bit more than 5 pounds, but its convenient design makes operating easy and prevents pressure on arms. Apart from the advantages I named above, as a left-hander, I like Makita 9566CV for the possibility of attaching a side handle to both sides of the tool. This detail makes this model suitable for a wide range of jobs for most people.
- Five-speed modes for different kinds of work (4,000–10,000 RPM);
- SJS technology saves motor and gear from damage;
- Ergonomic design prevents injuries and fatigue.
- Adjusting the wheel guard might cause difficulties.
DEWALT Angle Grinder Tool: Angle Grinder With Dust-Ejection System
As well as Makita 6 angle grinder, this tool has a powerful 13 AMP motor. However, it provides only one-speed mode, which is 1,000 RPM lower than the previous item performs. 9,000 RPM is a decent speed for cutting, yet it might be too high for polishing, for example, so the range of use is more narrow. You need to be sure about the kinds of work you are going to do before purchasing this model. DEWALT angle grinder is also a long-lasting tool. This instrument provides a dust-ejection system that protects the mechanism from debris flying around while you are working. It prevents malfunctions and reduces the time an owner spends on regular maintenance.
- A dust-ejection system prevents damage and overheating;
- Accepts discs from 4.5″ to 6″ size;
- Equipped with a powerful 13-AMP motor.
- Low speed (9,000 RPM) compared to other items.
Metabo 601078420: Angle Grinder With the Highest Speed
Metabo 601078420 is the heaviest instrument I name in this article since it weighs more than 6 pounds. This model also provides the highest speed among items with one-speed mode – its disc rotates at 9,600 RPM. Such a powerful instrument consumes a decent amount of power, so you should provide 1,750 watts to make it work. Its reliable cooling system and carbon brushes ensure a long lifetime, while a slim grip area allows long work sessions without fatigue. These features make me think, Metabo 601078420 is a purchase that is rarely replaced with other models over time.
- The highest speed (9,600 RPM) among items with one-speed mode;
- Reliable cooling system and carbon brushes ensure a long lifetime;
- Slim grip area allows long work sessions without fatigue.
- Heavier than an average tool.
BOSCH GWS13-60: Angle Grinder for Any Site
However, most items on this list have motors with similar characteristics, but they differ in the speed they can provide. BOSCH GWS13-60 has a 13 AMP motor and runs its disc at 9,300 RPM. This model weighs 5.3 pounds, an average figure for this kind of instrument. Its design promotes easy operation for anyone and on any occasion – the vibration control side handle can be installed in two positions so a user can select the most convenient one. Holding the instrument influences not only the quality of work but allows you to avoid injuries too.
Bosch 6 inch angle grinder ensures safety also by direct-motor cooling. This feature makes it possible to increase the overload capabilities or extend the runtime without serious risk of overheating and malfunctions it leads to. This model has durable inner details that provide soft starts, a level speed, and a long lifetime.
- Direct-motor cooling ensures safety during long work sessions;
- An adjustable side handle makes operating smooth and level.
- Reliable inner details reduce maintenance and allow a long lifetime.
- Might bog down if the load is too heavy.
Metabo 601242420: Angle Grinder for Dense Materials
Metabo 6 inch angle grinder combines power with comfort. It is a solid tool for dense materials and long work sessions. Its motor consumes 1,500 watts and provides you with a 9,000 RPM speed. These parameters make Metabo 601242420 suitable for cutting concrete, while its reliable overload capacity prevents damage and provides durability. This instrument allows unconditional smooth starts and level work thanks to its reliable electronics.
The other side is its ease of use. Metabo 601242420 weighs about 5 pounds, which is a normal weight for this kind of tool. However, this feature becomes a flaw without thoughtful design. Therefore, such robust tools have to be also comfortable. Metabo 601242420 has an ergonomic soft handle which reduces fatigue, especially during long overhead work.
- Suits working with dense materials;
- Ergonomic design for long work sessions;
- Reliable electronics ensure smooth starts and level work.
- The lowest disc speed on the list.
Buyer’s Guide 6-inch Angle Grinder
Grinders vary by a number of characteristics and fit different materials and tasks. Here is the list of basic features so you can select a tool for your needs.
Depending on the type of work and the workload, the instrument consumes electricity. Thus the required wattage varies from 1,000 to 2,500 watts.
- Finishing the surfaces, for example, polishing or grinding, requires up to 1,000 watts.
- To cut through a material, you will need from 1,500 to 2,500 watts, depending on its solidity.
Size and weight
There are three types of grinders, depending on the size and weight. These tools differ in capacity, portability, and ease of use.
- Mini-angle type is the smallest and the lightest; it suits only cutting thin metal leaves.
- One-hand tools are more solid; they can handle both metals and concrete.
- For the densest materials, handymen use two-hand instruments – this kind copes even with thick concrete.
Skill and endurance are crucial for easy and safe operating endurance. However, an inconvenient instrument is difficult to control and guide, even for an experienced handyman.
- Consider your tasks and select the lightest instrument to finish them.
- Pay attention to the grip material – rubber ones will never slip out of your hand.
- Follow the condition of the wheel since the dull blade will get stuck in the thickness of the material you are cutting through.
Operating a faulty instrument will lead to injury sooner or later. To prevent this, an angle grinder should provide the following features:
- Proper ventilation to prevent overheating is a basic requirement. Advanced models also have electronic cooling systems.
- Professional instruments intended for long and uninterrupted use are equipped with overload protection.
However, following safety rules is obligatory regardless of the type of instrument. Keep your hands away from the blade, and always pay attention if it is plugged off when you finish your work.
Disk speed depends on the size of the disk and the tool’s power. Models with basic functions provide you with only one speed and allow a limited range of tasks to complete. Advanced equipment with a few speed modes suit both finishing and cutting, but it also costs more.
FAQ on Brands and Models
To purchase an instrument that will fulfill all your needs, consider the general questions I mention below. Everyone faces them when it comes to selecting one particular model.
Who makes the best 6 inch angle grinder?
Makita is perceived as the most reliable brand. You can also consider Dewalt, Metabo, or Bosch – these brands are the most widespread. Thus, you can always expect adequate service and support.
Which brand is best for angle grinder?
According to my needs and friends’ recommendations, I selected Makita for my workshop. This brand provides a consistent level of quality regardless of the type of instrument you need.
What is the most popular size angle grinder?
I don’t recommend relying on others’ choices when selecting a tool for your needs. The most popular model might still not fit your kind of work, but if you have no specific requirements, select a 6″ angle grinder as a middle ground.
Angle Grinder 6 Inch Disc Reviews
The first rule of selecting any instrument is considering what kind of work you need to do. Angle grinders vary with a number of properties, and one of the most important characteristics is the size of the disc. In case you don’t know yet what job you will do, 6″ discs are universal tools for almost any case. I use Makita 9566CV since it is both powerful and comfortable. This model has 5-speed modes, so I can save money on similar tools.
Are you looking for your first tool, or do you need to replace the old one? What kind of work do you need to perform? Please share in the comments.
Best 6 inch angle grinder ― comparison table