Do you want to purchase the best 16-inch chainsaw to maintain your yard? The choice of chainsaws on the market is quite impressive, but not everyone can test all of them to buy the right one.
This review will find the most high-quality chainsaw options suitable for any projects you may have in your yard.
Top 7 Best 16 Inch Chainsaws Reviewed
- Greenworks 40V Chainsaw — Top Pick
- Husqvarna 435 Gas Chainsaw — Great Value
- Makita XCU04PT LXT Chainsaw — Premium Pick
- Oregon CS1400 Chainsaw
- MAXLANDER 40V Chainsaw
- EGO Power+ CS1604 Chainsaw
- WEN 40417 40V Chainsaw
So, what is the best 16-inch chainsaw you can get for your home? Here I provide detailed 16-inch chainsaw reviews that will allow you to make the best decision.
1. Greenworks 40V Chainsaw — The Best 16 Chainsaw for Homeowners
To begin this review of 16-inch chainsaws, I decided to start with my favorite. I had a lot of experience using this 40V chainsaw, and I can assure you it’s the best 16-in chainsaw for homeowners working on all kinds of household chores. The first thing I like about it is its brushless motor with extended life, which is an excellent replacement for a gas-powered chainsaw. The quiet mode of operation is another significant bonus.
Moreover, this chainsaw has a chain brake, which is highly important for safety reasons. Just like all chainsaws on this list, it is a 16-inch one, having an optimal size for home use. Also, this model has useful auto lubrication for the chain and bar, which helps with regular maintenance.
Overall, Greenworks 40V can is powerful and easy to use, so you can deal with all your yard chores with less effort. With this tool, you can get about 150 cuts on a single charge which is a higher number compared to 24V motors that most homeowners often buy.
I’ve had this cordless chainsaw for more than half a year now, and I am definitely satisfied with it.
- Ergonomic design;
- Features a brushless motor;
- Has a convenient handle;
- Has an electronic chain brake;
- Powerful enough for most tasks.
- Occasional leaking of oil in some chainsaws.
2. Husqvarna 435 Gas Chainsaw — The Best 16-Inch Gas Chainsaw for Different Yard Projects
While the first chainsaw of this review uses a no-gas technology, the next runner-up option is a gas-powered Husqvarna 16-inch model. I was quite skeptical about it, but once one of my friends gave me this chainsaw, I completely changed my mind.
Despite being a gas chainsaw, its X-Torque technology’s emission rate is quite low. The chainsaw has a powerful engine, so it allows cutting even hardwoods without any hassle. You will find a durable 16-inch long bar in this model as it’s made of a high-quality stainless steel alloy. Like the previous one, Husqvarna features an automatic oiler helping maintain the chain and prevent it from wearing down too quickly. It is always important to tighten the chain before working, and this Husqvarna chainsaw allows you to do this easily.
What I noticed about this model is how well it minimizes vibrations, so it is easier to hold the saw when you work. The chainsaw is convenient and has an ergonomic wrapped handle, adding another level of comfort. You can carry this chainsaw around the yard, and it doesn’t make you immediately tired like some other options.
- Sturdy and convenient chainsaw design;
- Works well even for hardwood materials;
- It comes with an automatic oiler;
- Easy to handle;
- An affordable option.
- Requires assembly upon arrival.
3. Makita XCU04PT LXT Chainsaw — A Premium Pick 16-Inch Chainsaw With a Kit
I decided to include this next chainsaw is an excellent model for those willing to spend a bit more. One of my neighbors uses this exact Makita chainsaw model and is a huge fan of this device. Firstly, the chainsaw is convenient because of its compact dimensions and padded grip. Secondly, Makita has a 36V battery and a brushless motor, offering excellent efficiency. It feels powerful when you use it, so you should have any issues with cutting wood logs, shrubs, etc.
Regarding the additional features, this model allows you to adjust and tighten the chain without any tools. This chainsaw has a variable speed trigger, so you can get the perfect cutting speed depending on your task.
I like that this Makita chainsaw is highly durable, and you can use it without problems even when the weather is terrible. The Extreme Protection Technology allows applying this saw even when debris or dust is flying around. The kit comes with 2 Lithium-Ion batteries, so no need to get them separately.
- Has a 16-inch stainless steel bar;
- Useful chain brake;
- Comes with a battery kit;
- Has a powerful motor working at high speed.
- Not the most affordable option.
4. Oregon CS1400 Chainsaw — One of the Best 16 Chainsaw Models for Portability
The next high-quality chainsaw I had an opportunity to test is the CS1400 model from Oregon. Previously, I’ve used the CS1500 model, and this particular chainsaw is a bit smaller in its dimensions. It is a great option for those needing a lightweight device. It weighs around 13lb, which is less than many other models. The only thing to note is that it is a 15 Amp corded electric saw, so you will need to plug it in.
Oregon CS1400 has the majority of features you may need for successful work around your house. The model features a ControlCut chain; in my experience, it helps get cleaner cuts when using it. Like other options I’ve included in this guide, the chain tightening system works without additional tools, which is always something to look for in a chainsaw.
There is an oil level window to see how much you have left, and the automatic oiler helps keep the chainsaw from premature wear. This model has a comfortable handle and doesn’t vibrate strongly like other chainsaws you can purchase. Besides, it is an affordable option.
- Lightweight and portable model;
- Easy to control;
- Great value for money;
- Automatic lubrication feature.
- A corded model.
5. MAXLANDER 40V Chainsaw — A Powerful Cordless Chainsaw 16-Inch Option
To continue this review, I’ve added a great chainsaw from MAXLANDER to the list. I tested this option for a short time, as one of my friends has it at home. The first thing to say about this chainsaw is that I was quite impressed with its power. It uses a brushless motor that is easily comparable to gas-powered models. I used it to cut quite large chunks of wood, completing the task without any problems.
Holding this tool in your hands feels durable as it’s made of long-lasting materials. Another good thing about it is its silent mode. You can easily use this chainsaw in your yard without disturbing your neighbors. The chainsaw has an auto-oiling system, the standard for most modern models. The same goes for the tool-less chain tensioning system you may find in this chainsaw. The thermal protection is designed to shut down the chainsaw if it overheats. I had a positive experience using the MAXLANDER 40V chainsaw, so I can definitely recommend this option.
- Features a powerful brushless motor;
- Works with less noise;
- Has a thermal protection technology;
- Tool-less chain tightening.
- Battery life could be better.
6. EGO Power+ CS1604 Chainsaw — A Modern Cordless Model for Easy Cutting
The next chainsaw deserving your attention comes from the EGO brand. The device works thanks to a powerful brushless motor that has reduced vibrations and offers prolonged run time. With the help of this chainsaw, you can cut branches and different types of wood without effort, as its speed reaches 6800 rotations per minute.
This model has a 16-inch bar and uses Lithium batteries that hold their charge quite well, allowing you to complete your daily tasks without recharging. Moreover, you can use universal types of batteries in this saw. This model also may boast a chain kickback brake and tool-free chain adjustment, both highly important for maximum convenience.
You will find an oil inspection window and a standard automatic lube system. It also has a long trigger and a handle allowing you to grip it in many different ways. This convenient and well-balanced chainsaw will surely last a long time.
- High-quality brushless motor;
- Сhain kickback brake;
- Long-lasting universal batteries;
- Excellent cutting speed.
- Tool-free adjustment may be difficult.
7. WEN 40417 40V — A Brushless Chainsaw Model for Fast Cutting
A final model in this review comes from the WEN brand. Regarding the features, this chainsaw doesn’t surprise you with anything new, but it has a basic set of valuable features. This tool has a brushless motor achieving sufficient speed and power without making too much noise when working.
Compared to the gas-powered models, you won’t have to deal with harmful emissions while getting the same results when cutting. This cordless model is ideal for people with larger properties as you can take it with you anywhere without worrying about power sockets. The device comes with a 4Ah battery that you can charge whenever necessary. Another advantage is its weight. It’s only 12 pounds, so your hands won’t get too tired. When it comes to maintenance, there is an auto-oiling system.
Thanks to the convenient handle and its lightweight, you can work with this chainsaw for hours. Because the battery life is not too impressive, this would be an ideal option for households rather than using this device professionally.
- It has a 40V brushless motor;
- Easy use and maintenance;
- Portability thanks to the absence of cords;
- Less noise compared to some models.
- The battery life could be longer.
What to Look for When Buying a 16-Inch Chainsaw
When choosing a 16-inch chainsaw, there are a few key factors you’ll want to keep in mind to ensure you’re getting the best tool. In this buying guide, we’ll go over what to look for when buying a 16-inch chainsaw so that you can make an informed decision.
- First and foremost, you’ll want to consider its intended usage. Are you looking for a saw for light pruning and trimming around the home? Or do you need something more heavy-duty for felling trees or cutting through thick branches? The intended use will dictate what features you should look for in a chainsaw.
- Second, you should consider the power source. Gas-powered, electric, and battery-powered options are available, and each has its own pros and cons. Gas-powered chainsaws are typically the most powerful option, but they can be challenging to start and require more maintenance than other types. Electric chainsaws are a good middle ground between power and ease of use, while battery-powered chainsaws are the most convenient option but may not have as much power as the other 2 types.
- Third, you need to think about the bar length. The bar is a part that actually cuts, so a longer bar can deal with larger pieces of wood. However, longer bars can also be more difficult to control. Thus, it’s crucial to find a balance that works for you.
- Finally, you’ll want to think about safety features. A good chainsaw should have a hand guard to protect your hands from the chain and a kickback brake. These are just a few safety features you should consider when choosing a chainsaw.
Now let me go into more detail about each factor you should consider when buying a good 16-inch chainsaw.
A 16-inch chainsaw should have plenty of power to get the tasks done. You need to be sure the saw has enough power to get through whatever you’re cutting and it’s not too much for you to handle. If you’re not used to working with a chainsaw, it’s best to err on the side of caution and pick a model that’s not too powerful. You can always trade up to a more powerful saw later on if you find that you need it.
When looking at various 16-inch chainsaws, one of the things you should pay attention to is the bar length. Make sure it’s long enough to handle whatever you’re planning on cutting.
Generally speaking, the longer the bar, the more powerful the saw is. So, if you’re doing some serious cutting, you need to look for a saw with a longer bar. However, a shorter bar will be fine if you only do the occasional light cutting.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the longer the bar, the more difficult the saw will be to maneuver. So, if you’re doing a lot of cutting in tight spaces, look for a saw with a shorter bar.
All in all, it’s up to you to decide what bar length is right for you. Just remember what you’ll be using the saw for and choose accordingly.
If you’re seeking a 16-inch chainsaw, one of the things to check is the starter cord. It is a cord you pull to start the chainsaw, and it’s important to be in good condition. A frayed or worn starter cord can be difficult to use, and it can also be dangerous. If the starter cord is in bad condition, it’s best to replace it before using the chainsaw.
When you’re looking to buy a 16-inch chainsaw, there are a few things to keep in mind in terms of safety.
- First and foremost, make sure a chainsaw has a good, sharp chain. A dull chain is more likely to slip, leading to serious injury.
- Check if the chainsaw has a suitable handguard. It will protect your hands from the chain in case of a kickback. Kickbacks can happen when the chain gets stuck on something and then suddenly snaps back towards the operator.
- Another safety feature to look for is a low kickback bar. It helps to reduce the risk of injury if the chainsaw does kickback.
- Finally, you should always wear proper safety gear, including gloves, eye protection, and hearing protection when operating a chainsaw.
There are a few other features to remember when purchasing a 16-inch chainsaw. The first is the power source. Are you looking for an electric chainsaw or a gas-powered one? Each has its pros and cons you need to consider before making your decision.
Another thing to take into account is the chainsaw weight. Heavier saws can be more difficult to handle, so if you have no experience using them, you might want to opt for a lighter model.
Finally, think about the price. Chainsaws can range in price from around $100 to $1,000. It’s crucial to find one that fits your budget and has the features and power you need.
How to Replace a Chainsaw Chain
If your chainsaw chain is damaged or worn, it’s important to replace it as soon as possible. A dull or damaged chain causes the saw to bind, which can be dangerous.
Here’s how to replace a chainsaw chain:
- First, ensure the saw is turned off, and the chain is not moving.
- Next, remove the bar cover and the old chain. To do this, you’ll need to unscrew the bar bolts and slide the cover off.
- Take the new chain and feed it through the bar, checking the teeth are facing the right direction.
- Once the chain is set, replace the bar cover and tighten its bolts.
- Finally, turn on the saw and test it out. If the chain is set correctly, it rotates smoothly.
If you still have questions after reading this guide, keep reading. This section will find the most popular questions about 16-inch chain saws.
How big of a log will a 16-inch chainsaw cut?
The rule of thumb is that a chainsaw can cut a log that is no thicker than 2 inches below the length of the chainsaw bar. Thus, with a 16-inch chainsaw, you can expect to cut a log no more than 14 inches wide.
What size chain for a 16-inch chainsaw bar?
Having a chainsaw chain of a proper length is very important since otherwise, you risk it falling off. A chain with 67 drive links is usually appropriate for a 16″ bar length.
How to cut with a 16″ chainsaw?
Just like with any chainsaw, you should always use protective gear to ensure your safety and make sure the logs you are cutting are not wider than 2 inches below your bar length.
Choose the Right Chainsaw
When looking for a 16-inch chainsaw, the 3 main things to consider are the saw size, its chain type, and the power source. With so many different chainsaws on the market, it’s essential to research and find the one that’s right for you. You can find the perfect chainsaw for your needs with a bit of knowledge.
How often do you use a chainsaw? Do you prefer a gas chainsaw or an electric one? Tell us what you think in the comment section below.